1. Never send money to someone you have never met face-to-face.
2. Do NOT click on links or open attachments in unsolicited email or text messages.
3. Do NOT believe everything you see or read.
4. Take precautions when making online purchases
§ Do NOT shop on price alone
§ Do NOT buy online unless the transaction is secure
§ Avoid making quick purchases while browsing social media
§ DO more research!
5. Be extremely cautious when dealing with anyone you’ve met online.
6. Never share personally identifiable information with someone who has contacted you unsolicited.
7. Do NOT be pressured to act immediately.
8. Use secure, traceable transactions when making payments for goods, services, taxes, and debts.
9. Whenever possible, work with businesses that have proper identification, licensing, and insurance.
10. Be cautious about what you share on social media.
1. Collect your thoughts
§ Stay calm and gather all information about the fraud including documents, receipts, copies of emails/text messages
2. Contact the Police
§ Report the incident with local police and get a file or complaint number for reference.
3. Contact your Credit Union/Financial Institution
§ Report incident to the FI that transferred the money
§ With your credit union/financial institution, place a flag on all accounts, and change passwords
§ Report fraud to both credit bureaus
· Equifax - 1-800-465-7166
· TransUnion - 1-800-663-9980
4. Contact the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre – 1-888-495-8501
Churchbridge Credit Union regularly monitors your cards and transactions for any fraud or unauthorized activities. If any transactions appear to be unusual to your regular spending patterns, your card may be blocked. This is usually a great way to prevent fraud but when you are away on vacation and you require your card, it can be frustrating. To avoid this situation, simply let us know when you are planning on travelling out of country and we can ensure your card doesn’t get blocked.
If you plan on using your MemberCard while traveling, please let us know by:
· Calling us at 306-896-2797 or toll free 1-877-890-2797 or
· Visit our Churchbridge or Langenburg Branches
If you plan on using your Churchbridge Collabria Mastercard, you can let them know of your travel plans one of two ways:
· Calling the 24/7 Cardholder Service at 1-855-341-4643 (this number is also at the back of the card) or
· Using MyCardInfo: Log into MyCardInfo> Account Services > Travel Center and then enter your travel information
1. Test your knowledge on Fraud (Competition Bureau of Canada)
2. Cyber Fraud Awareness Videos
§ Protect Yourself Against Personal Cyber Attack
§ How the “SHADY” technique can help prevent Phishing and Smishing
§ How to practice the Four Cornerstone of Internet Safety to be SAFE online